2 kg beef bone marrow, have your butcher chop it into small pieces
1 kg boneless beef shank or stewing beef
1 onion, peeled and sliced
3 liters water
2-3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
2-3 saba (plantain) bananas, each cut into two pieces
1 whole medium cabbage, quartered
3-4 tablespoons fish sauce (patis)
Salt and pepper to taste
The Filipino Bulalo Recipe or Beef Bone Marrow Soup Recipe Cooking Instructions:
- Lighten bone marrow and boneless beef shank or stewing beef in hot boiling water for a while and rinse in cold running tap water to remove foam and blood.
- Put bone marrow and onion in a stockpot and pour in the 3 liters of water and bring to the boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Add the boneless beef shank or stewing beef and return to the boil.
- When it boils, lower heat and simmer until beef is tender, about 1 to 1½ hours.
- Add the potatoes and bananas.
- Simmer until potatoes and bananas are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and stir in fish sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until cabbage is tender-crisp, about 2 minutes.
- Serve with hot rice. It serves 6.
- 1/2 kilo beef (round or sirloin cut) cut into cubes (for a more traditional kare kare, use cleaned beef tripe instead of beef)
- 1/2 kilo oxtail, cut 2 inch long
- 3 cups of peanut butter
- 1/4 cup grounded toasted rice
- 1/2 cup cooked bagoong alamang (anchovies)
- 2 pieces onions, diced
- 2 heads of garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons atsuete oil
- 4 pieces eggplant, sliced 1 inch thick
- 1 bundle Pechay (Bok choy) cut into 2 pieces
- 1 bundle of sitaw (string beans) cut to 2″ long
- 1 banana bud, cut similar to eggplant slices, blanch in boiling water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 8 cups of water
- Salt to taste
THE FILIPINO KARE – KARE COOKING INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Boil beef and oxtails in water for an hour or until cooked in a stock pot and strain and keep the stock.
2. Heat oil and atsuete oil in a big pan or wok.
3. Sauté garlic, onions until golden brown, then add the stock, toasted rice, beef, oxtail and peanut butter. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Salt to taste.
4. Add the eggplant, string beans, pechay and banana bud. Cook the vegetables for a few minutes (Do not overcook the vegetables).
5. Dish up with bagoong on the side and hot plain rice.