1 Pata (front or hind leg of a pig including the knuckles)
1 bottle of soda, it can be 7Up or sprite
1 tablespoon of salt
2 tablespoons patis or fish sauce
1/2 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon of monosodium glutamate or MSG
4 tablespoons of flour
Enough oil for deep frying
Enough water for boiling
THE FILIPINO CRISPY PATA COOKING INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Remove all hairs and scrape the skin with a knife. Clean the pork pata and wash properly.
2. Make four to five inch cuts on the sides of the pata.
3. Place the pata in water with soda and salt on a deep stock pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Then add the baking soda and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.
4. Remove the pata from the pot and hang and allow to drip dry for 24 hours. An alternative to this is to thoroughly drain the pork pata and refrigerate for a few hours.
4. After the above process, rub patis on the pata and sprinkle flour liberally.
5. Heat cooking oil and deep fry the pork pata until golden brown in a deep frying pot.
CRISPY PATA SAUCE RECIPE:
Mix 3/4 cup of vinegar, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 2 cloves of crushed garlic, 1 head of diced onion and 1 hot pepper. Salt and pepper to taste.