2 kg beef bone marrow, have your butcher chop it into small pieces
1 kg boneless beef shank or stewing beef
1 onion, peeled and sliced
3 liters water
2-3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
2-3 saba (plantain) bananas, each cut into two pieces
1 whole medium cabbage, quartered
3-4 tablespoons fish sauce (patis)
Salt and pepper to taste
The Filipino Bulalo Recipe or Beef Bone Marrow Soup Recipe Cooking Instructions:
- Lighten bone marrow and boneless beef shank or stewing beef in hot boiling water for a while and rinse in cold running tap water to remove foam and blood.
- Put bone marrow and onion in a stockpot and pour in the 3 liters of water and bring to the boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Add the boneless beef shank or stewing beef and return to the boil.
- When it boils, lower heat and simmer until beef is tender, about 1 to 1½ hours.
- Add the potatoes and bananas.
- Simmer until potatoes and bananas are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and stir in fish sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until cabbage is tender-crisp, about 2 minutes.
- Serve with hot rice. It serves 6.
1 kilo whole chicken, cut into pieces.
1 small young papaya or sayote, cut into small pieces.
2 tablespoons ginger, crushed and slliced into strips
1/2 cup dahon ng sili (chili leaves) or mallunggay leaves
1 liter of water
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 red onion, diced
4 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons patis (fish sauce)
The Filipino Chicken Stew or Tinolang Manok Cooking Instructions:
1. Heat oil and sauté garlic, onion and ginger in a stock pot.
2. Add water and the chicken.
3. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 20 minutes or until chicken is almost done.
4. Flavor with patis
5. Add papaya and continue to simmer for an additional 5 minutes or until papaya softens but not overcooked.
6. Add sili leaves then turn off the heat.
7. Dish up steaming hot on a bowl with plain rice on the side.